Thursday, December 30, 2010

Won my 2nd photo competition

A friend of mine let me know Princeton tech, a dive light manufacture had a very small photo-competition going on. Once he saw the competitions photos he felt I had a solid chance on winning. By the time I got to it I wasn't to sure.

The competitions theme was "Beyond bottomtime" Princeton tech did not want to see photos of colored fish and the " normal" type of dive photos. Since freediving is about as far from normal as you can get in america, and equally concerned with bottom time. I decided to submit the majority of freedivers as my photos submited.

By the end of the deadline 217 photos where submitted, I was pretty suprised by the quality of some of the images, others I felt didnt really understand what princeton was after.

about 3 weeks later I checked back to the contest page and was greated with a link saying the winners have been selected winners page found here



GRAND PRIZE was awarded to my image of Paul and the Atlantis submarine


I must say, Im really looking foward to this olympus 6020 and its in camera panoramic mode. I've been wanting to try underwater pans for a while now. Ever since I saw the wetpixel discussions
UW pan discussion 1
Underwater pan discussion 2

While I am sure that with practice and a powerfull stitching program I can get results like the ones in the post. I think the stylus 6020 will provide the quality and the ease to get a great shot while on a freedive.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your win, Derek - that's really awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll create with your new camera as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It inspires me to keep shooting too, what gear do you use? as in underwater camera/housing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, I shoot with a few different set ups, The image above was taken with a canon 50d and sea and sea housing, I recently sidegraded my dslr to a t2I and nauticam housing. The nauticam housing is amazing. I also enjoy shooting with my g10 and canon housing.
    All my video is done with the Gopro w/ eyeofmine housing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another big win! That is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete